He Knew or Should Have Known About Benghazi Disaster the Same Day

As noted yesterday, many of us were salivating at the prospect of Mitt Romney confronting Barack Obama about the many shifting stories regarding the murder of 4 Americans in Libya on 9/11. The Romney campaign made a decision to focus on the economy and to let Obama’s failed foreign policy and his attempt to cover up the result speak for themselves, which I think was the correct one.

This morning, Reuters is reporting on emails that reveal that, within hours of the attack,  Washington, and by “Washington” I mean the White House Situation Room, was receiving real time information about what happened. This information confirms previous information from the CIA station chief, who also said that Washington was advised within 24 hours that this attack was not the result of some silly YouTube video.

What did Obama know about the Benghazi murders and when did he know it?

The records obtained by Reuters consist of three emails dispatched by the State Department’s Operations Center to multiple government offices, including addresses at the White House, Pentagon, intelligence community and FBI, on the afternoon of September 11.

Officials at the White House and State Department were advised two hours after attackers assaulted the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11 that an Islamic militant group had claimed credit for the attack, official emails show.…

The first email, timed at 4:05 p.m. Washington time – or 10:05 p.m. Benghazi time, 20-30 minutes after the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission allegedly began – carried the subject line “U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi Under Attack” and the notation “SBU”, meaning “Sensitive But Unclassified.”

The text said the State Department’s regional security office had reported that the diplomatic mission in Benghazi was “under attack. Embassy in Tripoli reports approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well.”

The message continued: “Ambassador Stevens, who is currently in Benghazi, and four … personnel are in the compound safe haven. The 17th of February militia is providing security support.”

A second email, headed “Update 1: U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi” and timed 4:54 p.m. Washington time, said that the Embassy in Tripoli had reported that “the firing at the

U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi had stopped and the compound had been cleared.” It said a “response team” was at the site attempting to locate missing personnel.

A third email, also marked SBU and sent at 6:07 p.m. Washington time, carried the subject line: “Update 2: Ansar al-Sharia Claims Responsibility for Benghazi Attack.”

The message reported: “Embassy Tripoli reports the group claimed responsibility on Facebook and Twitter and has called for an attack on Embassy Tripoli.”

While some information identifying recipients of this message was redacted from copies of the messages obtained by Reuters, a government source said that one of the addresses to which the message was sent was the White House Situation Room, the president’s secure command post. (emphasis mine)

We all remember the White House Situation Room from the photo posted above. I guess that when these messages came in, no one was paying attention. Fundraising is so time consuming, isn’t it?

The truth will set us free.

The Teri O'Brien Show

book