Just in time for John Brennan’s confirmation hearing today, the most transparent administration in history caved on letting Congress see its justification for killing an American citizen with a drone strike. From The Los Angeles Times:
President Obama, who has championed lethal drone strikes as a major part of U.S. counter-terrorism efforts, bowed to pressure Wednesday and agreed to allow the Senate and House intelligence committees to review classified legal memos used to justify a drone strike against a U.S. citizen in Yemen in 2011.
Senators had demanded for months to see the Justice Departmentopinions that provided the White House legal authority to order the targeted killing of Anwar Awlaki, a New Mexico native who became an Al Qaeda leader.
Some cynical, and probably racist, right-wing critics of the Dear Reader have noted a distinct difference in the way that Barack Obama’s enthusiastic support for the programs put in place by the Bush administration to keep America safe, programs that he vilified as a candidate, are being covered by our fearless media. Recall the sniper kill of the Somali pirates in April 2009? At the time, I asked you to consider what sort of coverage that this incident would have received had it happened during the George W. Bush administration. I wrote about that and asked you to add your ideas.
- “Anderson Cooper runs a series of special reports with Christiane Amanpour describing the desperation of the Somalian teenagers driven to lives of crime by poverty and U.S. arrogance.
- Brian Williams visits the fishing villages where the slain Somalias tried to eke out a living.
- Diane Sawyer, barely holding back tears, Interviews Widow of Victim of Bush Vigilantism on the High Seas; Six Now Fatherless Children Ask Why?
- Keith Olbermanns Special Comment: Murder: Your Answer to Everything, Mr. Bush. In the name of all that is decent, resign!!
- John Dean (of Watergate fame) writes a column for a legal blog detailing the criminal charges that could and should be brought against George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld for killing 3 innocent until proven guilty criminal suspects before they could be indicted. I’m sure you can think of a few more. Please feel free to add yours to the list.”
The response to the sniper kill by the Obama administration? The Lame Stream Media gathered up all their leftover Valentines to send them, and bombarded us with stories about our brave, brilliant young president.
The LSM gave up any pretense of journalism, at least when it comes to Barack Obama, at least ten years ago, so even though the double standard is ridiculously obvious to everyone, they don’t care. That’s why I was surprised to see the LA Times come up with this fig leaf to try to cover up their North Korea-style coverage of the Dear Reader.
The administration’s position has brought objections from some longtime critics. However, the response from Congress has been muted, reflecting the degree to which once-controversial practices in drone warfare have become mainstream after more than a decade of conflict.
Oh, that’s the reason! Everyone accepts these policies now! It’s not that they are trying to cover for Obama. It’s that because he’s doing it now after so many years, it’s all ok!
I guess it’s sort of like that Gitmo thing. I know that it seems like 100 years ago, but remember Barack Obama’s first executive orders, one of which provided to that that heinous torture pit established by Bush and Cheney within one year? I wonder if the task force on detention that he established by another executive order on the same day weighed in on the argument his administration made before a federal judge yesterday? From The Liberal Death Star:
The Obama administration on Wednesday urged a federal appeals court to overturn a sweeping ruling by a district judge that blocked the government from enforcing a statute related to the indefinite detention without trial of terrorism suspects.
Where are the LSM critics of the “fascist” George W. Bush? Bueller? Bueller?