Dear Rep. _______,
I wonder if you were as taken aback by President Obama’s sudden desire, announced on Saturday, to seek your advice about his plans to lob some missiles into Syria as I was. It seemed particularly bizarre coming only hours after he sent Sec. of State Kerry before the cameras to make a very impassioned case in favor of immediate action. I was stunned. President Obama knows that there is U.S. Congress? His numerous actions doing an end run around Congress because “we can’t wait!” demonstrates that, at best, he considers you guys some sort of ceremonial body with slightly less importance than the United Nations. I mean after all, back in March 2011, President Obama unilaterally decided that Libya’s Muammar Qadhafi had to go, and to make that happen, he fired 100 cruise missiles and committed 12 U.S.Navy ships in the Mediterranean, and 75 U.S. Air Force and Navy aircraft including B-2 bombers. Unlike Saddam Hussein, Qadhafi hadn’t used any chemical weapons, and Obama didn’t use you for political cover in that case. He just felt “the fierce urgency of now,” and did what he pleased. Now, after only a year in office, Barack Obama’s Muslim Brotherhood pal Mohamed Morsi was ousted from power and is about to be put on trial. As we get ready to commemorate the murder of four brave Americans in Benghazi on September 11, 2012, Libya is a disaster.
The Syrian civil war began in March 2011, and shortly after that, President Barack Obama said that Bashar al-Assad must go, but did nothing. In August, 2012, he took out his crayon and drew his infamous “red line” about chemical weapons. Supposedly in April, 2013, the Assad regime used chemical weapons, and in June, 2014, after confirming that 100-150 people had been killed by them, the Obama regime decided to arm the rebels. Apparently that silly half-measure was less than a speed bump to Assad, because, if the Obama regime is to be believed, the Assad regime killed over 1400 people with chemical weapons last month.
So, that’s where we are, and the situation is obvious. Any member of Congress who votes for the President’s plan is being played. If you disagree, please answer the following questions for me because I’m a little confused:
- Sec. of State Kerry says we “know” from “independent” sources that it was the Assad regime who used these chemical weapons. How do we know that? Is from the same intelligence services that Mr. Kerry and President Obama derided for their failures to be accurate about Iraq? Some have suggested that it’s far from clear who used these chemical weapons. What’s the truth?
- Assuming for the sake of argument that Mr. Assad is the perp, if we lob these missiles into Syria, how will that action deter Bashar al-Assad’s future use of chemical weapons?
- If the use of chemical weapons is such an unspeakable breach of international norms, why didn’t we take more aggressive action back in April of this year when Bashar supposedly used them?
- How do we know that the Syria rebels we are seeking to assist aren’t affiliated with the same guys we are killing with drones in other countries? The Obama regime asks us to trust them, but given their history of being truthful, do you really think that’s wise? Remember the Obama regime’s “Fast and Furious” operation, which armed the bad guys ostensibly to “track” them down? Unfortunately, the weapons weren’t tracked and eventually ended up involved in the murder of at least two American police officers and hundreds of innocent Mexicans.
- How does telegraphing our plans to the Assad regime and then waiting ten days to do anything guarantee a successful military operation?
- What is the exit strategy?
- If, after this surgical “a little bit pregnant” strike, Assad continues to behave in a way that the Obama administration finds unacceptable, then what?
The most compelling evidence of what this Syria melodrama is about is the fact that all of sudden, Barack Obama’s new obsession is Syria. The time to do something about Syria was back in 2011, but that wouldn’t do, would it? That was before last year’s election. If he were really concerned about Assad, who he said in 2011 had to go, that wouldn’t have mattered. So ask yourself, when does Barack Obama ever focus all of his time and energy on anything? Is it when he is acting to advance America’s standing in the world? To strengthen and grow our economy? To free the dynamic energies of the American people and create prosperity? NO! The only time he focuses like a laser beam is when he is trying to advance his own power so he can deliver the coups de grace to unfair, racist Amerika. This idea is all about the 2014 elections. Remember, Barack Obama defeated the allegedly invincible Clinton political machine because he never had to vote on the Iraq war. He used Hillary’s vote in favor of the Authorization of Force as a cudgel against her. Now, as he did over 100 times as an Illinois state senator, he is voting “present” so he can take all the credit if there is any to take, and none of the blame. His Chicago sleaze meister David Axelrod let the cat out of the bag with his tweet on Saturday. They are going to tell you that this is a vote about Israel, about America’s place in the world, or any other justification that they can use to scare you into going along. Don’t fall for it.
Politics, Pop Culture, the Hottest Issues of the Day, and Your calls. The Teri O’Brien Show, featuring America’s Original Conservative Warrior Princess, Live and in color, Sundays 4-6 pm Central time at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Teri-OBrien. Daring to Commit Common Sense, Fearlessly, and More Important, Cheerfully, in the Age of Obama.
Make My Day: Text “FAN TOBCWP” to 32665
Can’t listen live? Download it from iTunes and listen on demand.
As one listener wrote “one of the most insightful and entertaining pundits in America. Also, her voice is magical.”
Serious Ideas, Irresistible Entertainment. Warning: listeners may become hopelessly addicted.